SPRINGFIELD – Twenty-one years ago nearly 1,000 Illinois Army National Guard Soldiers and Airmen were deployed during the Persian Gulf War under the leadership of the now late Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf, who was the commander of coalition forces.
Although he did not work directly for Schwarzkopf, Maj. Gen. (IL) Daniel Krumei of Springfield, The Adjutant General of the Illinois National Guard, was one of those Illinois Soldiers who served in the deserts of Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Iraq. "General Schwarzkopf lived a life of service that we benefit from in the National Guard every day," said Krumrei. "It was a great honor to have served under him in Saudi Arabia during the Gulf War. On behalf of the 13,000 Illinois Soldiers and Airmen, the Schwarzkopf family is in all of our thoughts and prayers."
Illinois National Guard units that served during the Gulf War are:
· 1244th Transportation Company in Cairo
· 1544th Transportation Company in Paris
· Headquarters, Headquarters Detachment, 108th Medical Battalion in Chicago
· 1644th Transportation Company in Riverside
· 233rd Military Police Company in Springfield
· 933rd Military Policy Company in Chicago
· 182nd Tactical Air Support Group in Peoria
· 126th Air Refueling Wing in Chicago
Become our Facebook Fan!