Brig Gen Donald K. Carpenter is the Director of Logistics, Engineering and Force Protection, National Guard Bureau, Air National Guard Readiness Center, Joint Base Andrews, Maryland. He leads over 300 military and civilian professionals across eight divisions that support 90 Air National Guard Wings and 188 Geographically Separated Units across the United States and territories.
Brig Gen Carpenter manages a $4.5 billion dollar budget, providing strategy, policy, and oversight that supports deployment readiness, maintenance, logistics, military construction, engineering, environmental and force protection across the entire Air National Guard.
Brig Gen Carpenter’s military service began in 1983 enlisting as a Jet Engine Mechanic in the U.S. Navy. During his second active tour, he completed his Bachelor of Science from Southern Illinois University in Aviation Management in May of 1990. In April 1991 he enlisted in the Air National Guard as an F-16 Jet engine mechanic, topping out his enlisted career as a C-130 Flight Engineer Master Sergeant. February of 1997, Brig Gen Carpenter graduated as a distinguished graduate from the Academy of Military Science, McGhee-Tyson Air National Guard Base receiving his commission as an Intelligence officer. Brig Gen Carpenter has deployed to Europe and Southwest Asia multiple times in support of contingency operations, and he served as the senior military officer in charge of C-130 maintenance training for the Polish Air Force. Brig Gen Carpenter is certified as a Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt, who contributes countless hours to innovation, process improvement and leadership development in both the Air and Army National Guard.
He has commanded at the squadron, group and wing level. Prior to his current position, he was the Commander of the 183d Wing, Illinois Air National Guard, Abraham Lincoln Capital Airport, Springfield, Illinois.
1990 Bachelor of Science, Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Carbondale, Ill.
1998 Associate of Applied Science Degree, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2002 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2013 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2014 Masters of Business Administration, University of Management and Technology, Arlington, Va.
2017 Air National Guard Commander Development Course, Andrews AFB, Md.
2017 Joint Task Force Commander Training Course, Peterson AFB, Colo.
2017 Dual Status Commander Orientation Course, Peterson AFB, Colo.
2019 Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt Certification, Arlington, Va.
2020 National and International Leadership Seminar, Arlington, Va.
2021 Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Chapel Hill, N.C.
2021 Senior Leader Orientation Course, Arlington, Va.
2021 Executives in Logistics and Technology, Chapel Hill, N.C.
1. June 1997 - December 1997, Intelligence Officer, 182d Operations Group, 182d Airlift Wing, Peoria, Ill.
2. December 1997 - March 2001, Supply Officer, 182d Logistics Readiness Squadron, 182d Airlift Wing, Peoria, Ill.
3. March 2001 - November 2003, Commander, 182d Maintenance Squadron, 182d Airlift Wing, Peoria, Ill.
(July 2001 - September 2001, Aircraft Maintenance Commander, 38th Provincial Airlift Squadron, Ramstein Air Base, Germany)
(September 2002 - November 2002, Maintenance Officer, 320th Expeditionary Wing, Seeb, Oman)
(March 2003 - August 2003, Maintenance Squadron Commander, 486th Aerospace Expeditionary Maintenance Group, Al Minhad Air Base, United Arab Emirates)
4. November 2003 - September 2004, Wing Executive Officer, 182d Airlift Wing, Peoria, Ill.
5. September 2004 - January 2005, Logistics Readiness Officer, 182d Logistics Readiness Squadron, 182d Airlift Wing, Peoria, Ill.
6. January 2005 - April 2008, Aircraft Systems Flight Evaluator, 182d Maintenance Group, 182d Airlift Wing, Peoria, Ill.
7. April 2008 - December 2015, Commander, 182d Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, 182d Airlift Wing, Peoria, Ill.
(August 2008 - October 2008, Commander, 455th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Bagram Air Base, Afghanistan)
(November 2011 - March 2012, Commander, 455th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Bagram Air Base, Afghanistan)
8. December 2015 - September 2018, Commander, 183d Mission Support Group, 183d Wing, Springfield, Ill.
9. September 2018 - December 2019, Vice Commander, 183d Wing, Springfield, Ill.
10. December 2019 - April 2021, Commander, 183d Wing, Springfield, Ill.
11. April 2021 - Present, Director of Logistics, Engineering and Force Protection, NGB A4, National Guard Bureau,
Joint Base Andrews, Md.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor device and three oak leaf clusters
Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation
Combat Readiness Medal
Navy Good Conduct Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant February 27, 1997
First Lieutenant February 27, 1999
Captain February 27, 2001
Major January 21, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel March 5, 2010
Colonel August 18, 2016
Brigadier General April 5, 2021
(Current as of November 2021)