Col. Daniel R. McDonough is the commander of the 182nd Airlift Wing. He is responsible for maintaining the combat readiness of eight C-130 aircraft and more than 1,240 traditional and full-time Illinois Air National Guardsmen, and ensures that all units fulfill their state and federal missions as directed by the appropriate authorities.
Col. McDonough received a Bachelors of Science degree in aviation administration from Indiana State University. He was mission ready in the OA-37 Dragonfly, F-16 Fighting Falcon and C-130E Hercules. He has deployed six times as a C-130 aircraft commander in support of Operations ENDURING FREEDOM and IRAQI FREEDOM, as well as four times to command the 774th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron in Afghanistan. He has served in a variety of capacities throughout his career at the 182nd Airlift Wing. Currently, he serves as the Air National Guard C-130 Operations Group Commander Council chairman.
Col. McDonough is a command, evaluator pilot with nearly 700 combat and combat support hours and more than 5,400 total flying hours. Prior to his current position, the colonel was the commander of the 182nd Operations Group, 182nd Airlift Wing in Peoria, Illinois.
1983 Associates Degree, General Studies, Illinois Central College, East Peoria
1985 Bachelors of Science, Aviation Administration, Indiana State University, Terre Haute
1997 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
2005 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2012 Air War College, by correspondence
1. May 1987–May 1988, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas
2. May 1988–September 1991, Forward Air Controller, 169th Tactical Air Support Squadron, Peoria, Ill.
3. February 1989–September 1991, Squadron Flying Safety Officer, 169th Tactical Air Support Squadron, Peoria, Ill.
4. October 1991–October 1994, F-16A/B Fighter Pilot, 169th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Peoria, Ill.
5. October 1994–April 1995, Squadron Flying Safety Officer, 169th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Peoria, Ill.
6. April 1995–March 2005, C-130E Aircraft Commander, 169th Airlift Squadron, Peoria, Ill.
7. March 2005-June 1997, Chief of Scheduling, 169th Airlift Squadron, Peoria, Ill.
8. June 1997–October 1999, C-130E Operations Officer, 169th Airlift Squadron, Peoria, Ill.
9. October 1999–May 2005, C-130H3 Flight Commander, 169th Airlift Squadron, Peoria, Ill.
10. May 2005–March 2006, Commander, 169th Airlift Squadron, Peoria, Ill.
11. March 2006–November 2017, Commander, 182nd Operations Group, Peoria, Ill.
12. November 2017–Present, Commander, 182nd Airlift Wing, Peoria, Ill.
Rating: command pilot
Flight Hours: more than 5,400
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38, OA-37, AT-38B, F-16A/B, C-130E, C-130H3
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Army Achievement Medal
STATE AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Illinois Long and Honorable Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Illinois Military Attendance Ribbon with “14” device
Louisiana Emergency Service Medal
National Guard Association of the United States
National Guard Association of Illinois
1994, Pilot of the Year, Illinois Air National Guard
Chairman, Air National Guard C-130 Operations Group Commander Council
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 21, 1987
First Lieutenant July 12, 1989
Captain July 12, 1991
Major April 1, 1997
Lieutenant Colonel April 1, 2004
Colonel Jan. 24, 2014
Current as of November 2017
Click here for PDF Print Version (size: