Brig. Gen. William P. Robertson is the Illinois Air National Guard Chief of Staff. He is responsible for the command, control and operations of plans and programs affecting more than 3,000 Illinois Air National Guard personnel located at the 126th Air Refueling Wing, Scott Air Force Base, the 182d Airlift Wing, Peoria Illinois and the 183d Wing in Springfield, Illinois. His broad range of responsibilities include ensuring combat readiness and mission capability of three major air bases comprised of flying wings, command and control facilities, logistics and mission support units, providing combat trained personnel to meet all United States Air Force mission requirements.
General Robertson began his military career in 1980 by enlisting as a security policeman with the 182d Tactical Air Support Group. He commissioned as a second lieutenant to become a pilot in 1983 and served in roles including forward air controller, air liaison officer and aircraft commander before becoming the 182d Airlift Wing Commander in 2004. As the 182d Airlift Wing Commander he was responsible for maintaining the combat readiness of eight C-130 aircraft and more than 1,240 traditional and full-time Illinois Air National Guardsmen.
General Robertson continues to serve a pivotal role in the Illinois National Guard’s Partnership Program with the Republic of Poland since the beginning of the alliance in 1993.
1981 Associates of Science degree in police science technology, Illinois Central College, Peoria, Ill.
1983 Bachelors of Science degree in administration of criminal justice, Bradley University, Peoria, Ill.
1983 Academy of Military Science, McGhee Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tenn.
1987 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1996 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2000 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2013 Joint Task Force Commander Course, U.S. Northern Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
2015 Dual Status Commander Orientation Course, U.S. Northern Command, Peterson AFB, Colo
1. August 1983 – August 1984, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Williams Air Force Base, Ariz.
2. August 1984 – June 1992, Forward Air Controller, 169th Tactical Air Support Squadron, Illinois Air National Guard, Peoria, Ill.
3. June 1992 – June 1994, Weapons and Tactics Officer, 169th Fighter Squadron, Illinois Air National Guard, Peoria, Ill.
4. June 1994 – June 1995, Weapons and Tactics Officer, 169th Airlift Squadron, Illinois Air National Guard, Peoria, Ill.
5. June 1995 – June 1996, Current Operations Officer, 182d Operations Support Flight, Illinois Air National Guard, Peoria, Ill.
6. June 1996 – May 1997, Chief of Current Operations, 182d Operations Support Flight, Illinois Air National Guard, Peoria, Ill.
7. June 1997 – August 2004, Operations Group Commander, 182d Operations Group, Illinois Air National Guard, Peoria, Ill.
8. August 2004 – October 2017, Wing Commander, 182d Airlift Wing, IL Air National Guard, Peoria, Ill.
9. October 2017 – Present, Chief of Staff, Illinois Air National Guard, Joint Force Headquarters, Springfield, Ill.
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More the 4,800
Aircraft flown: T-41, T-37, T-38, OA-37B, C-26, AT-38B, F-16, C-130
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Army Achievement Medal
Illinois Abraham Lincoln Medal of Freedom
Illinois Military Long and Honorable Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Illinois Military Attendance Ribbon with ‘17’ devices
Illinois State Active Duty Service Ribbon
Louisiana Emergency Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
As of November 2017
Second Lieutenant 21 July 1983
First Lieutenant 21 July 1986
Captain 12 August 1988
Major 16 December 1992
Lieutenant Colonel 17 April 1997
Colonel 30 March 2001
Brigadier General 31 October 2017
Click here for PDF Print Version (size: