Marseilles Training Center's historical lineage can be traced to Camp Logan near Zion in northern Illinois. Camp Logan was established in
1883 as a small arms training facility for the Illinois Army National Guard. Camp Logan was used extensively for mobilization during WWI and again during WWII.
Colonel George C. Marshall, assigned as the Senior Instructor to the 33rd Division Illinois Army National Guard, established the National Guard’s first official
marksmanship-training program at Camp Logan. COL Marshall went on to become Chief of Staff of the United States Army during WWII and eventually United States
Secretary of State.
Acquisition and development of the 2551 acres was a direct result of compatible needs of the State of Illinois Department of Natural Resources
(IDNR) and the Department of Military Affairs of Illinois (DMAIL). This site was selected and agreed upon in 1972: property acquisition began shortly thereafter.
As a result of MTC's development, Camp Logan was given to IDNR in order to facilitate IDNR's expansion of Illinois Beach State Park. The completion of the 700
person-housing complex in 2002 resulted in MTC being classified as a Collective Training Center (CTC) by National Guard Bureau. In addition to the 2551 acres,
MTC leases about 275 acres from Commonwealth Edison along the eastern boundary. MTC is cooperatively managed with IDNR as provided for in a Memorandum of
Understanding between the two state agencies.