Illinois National Guard

Our Mission
What We Provide
MFH History
MFH Locations
Helpful Links
Be a Part of Our Team
Funeral Director
Color Guard Requests
Contact Us
    Military Funeral Home
How do you fold the American Flag?
A basic step-by-step video can be found here.
My loved one never received military honors - is it too late?
No! It's never too late to request Military Honors for your loved one - only if they've never received it before.. Simply contact your Funeral Home (if one is involved) or you can contact us to schedule honors for you!
Help! My loved one is only entitled to a 2-3 Soldier detail! Isn't there anything more than I can do?
Certainly! We have provided an extensive list of Veteran Service Organizations VFW, American Legion,, etc.) for your benefit. If they are available on the date/time you need them, it is possible they might be able to assist you.
Do you need my DD214 (Certificate of Release of Discharge from Active Duty)?
Federal law mandates that we receive a document that shows that your loved one was honorably discharged. This includes, but is not limited to: DD214, NGB 22, Eligibility for Retired Pay at Age 60
Where do I get a flag?
Most Funeral Homes should provide a flag for your loved one's burial. If, however, that is not the case, here is a link to a form you can fill out to acquire an American Flag from the Department of Veterans Affairs or your nearest postmaster.
How much do I have to pay to have Military Funeral Honors at my loved one's funeral
Nothing! These services are brought to you free of charge.
When should I request Military Honors for my loved one?
You can request them at any time, however; the more advanced notice possible, the better. We strive to accommodate every funeral service, but sometimes, we are over-extended. Contact your Funeral Director as soon as you can.
Can I request a flyover for my loved one?
Unfortunately, flyovers follow a very strict set of criteria that can include but not be limited to: flying several successful mission sorties, aerial victories and may include the rank of your loved one. Please be aware flyover requests are subject to a number of restrictions and are supported only where they do not impact operation mission accomplishment. Anyone requesting a military aircraft flyover must submit a DD Form 2535 to the closest military aircraft support center with a minimum notice of 90 days.
Who is eligible to receive Military Honors?
Military members on active duty or in the Selected Reserve, former military members who served on active duty and departed under conditions other than dishonorable, former military members who completed at least one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service in the Selected Reserve and departed under conditions other than dishonorable, and former military members discharged from the Selected Reserve due to a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.
Who is not eligible to received Military Honors?
Those discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions or individuals sentenced to death or life imprisonment with parole for a federal or state capital offense./td>