Testing and Examinations
TAKING the NEXT STEP
As a Guard member working in an important occupational
field, you have received extensive training (service
schools, correspondence courses, on-the-job-training) which
has proved valuable in developing your professional skills.
Certification Exams will allow you to demonstrate what you
know and will help you to establish your professional
credentials. By obtaining certification in your particular
field, you will effectively demonstrate that you have the
initiative and self-reliance required to advance toward
higher skills and levels of responsibility.
Certification promotes association with civilian
counterparts and provides an opportunity to both document
your skills and to "translate" your military training into
civilian terms; thereby making you more marketable in the
DANTES has agreements with 30 nationally recognized
certification associations. These societies allow their
certification exams to be administered to members of the
Illinois Army National Guard through the Education Services
Office. Examinations are available in many skill areas.
Click here for a
complete listing of Certification Examinations.
Are all the Certification Exams
funded by DANTES?
All 30 nationally recognized Certification Examinations
are funded by DANTES on a reimbursable basis for
members of the Army National Guard.
Steps to Success
Interested Guard members carry out the following steps in
order to receive reimbursement for a DANTES-sponsored
professional certification exam administered to them at
either the Education Services Office or a national test
- Review the
DANTES Examination Program Handbook Part III (Click here
for handbook) which contains a list of all
participating professional associations, their telephone
numbers, and the Military Occupational Specialties (MOS)
related to the exam.
- Determine your area of interest and contact the
professional association for consultation, application,
support materials, and study guides. We recommend that
the applicant request fees for professional study
materials as well as free guides. Pass rates improve
with the use of subject-specific prepared association
- Review the materials received, and determine your
eligibility to sit for the test, complete the
application and submit it along with the appropriate
fees to the professional association. ONLY
ACTUAL EXAM COSTS ARE REIMBURSED. Use the
DANTES National Calendar of Certification Tests (Click
here for Calendar) to check the list of exams and
fees for each. (Registration fees, associations fees, or
prep guide fees are NOT reimbursable fees.)
- Upon notification from the professional association
of your eligibility to sit for the exam, the Guard
member is to begin preparing for the Certification
Examination. Any study materials are purchased at the
Guard member's expense. Professional exams are difficult
to pass and it is highly recommended that the candidate
purchase any prep guides and study materials prior to
sitting for the exam.
- The Guard member follows the information in the
professional association packet, and works with the
professional association in scheduling a test date at
the Education Services Office. NOTE:
The Guard member may decide to take the exam at a
national test center suggested by the association; if
this is the case, to ensure he or she is reimbursed for
the exam costs by DANTES, the Guard member MUST ensure
the national test center follows the instructions in
- The Guard member sits for and completes the test at
the chosen testing site.
- Upon receipt of the examination results, the
Education Services Office, or the chosen national test
center, makes a copy of the score report as proof of
exam completion and sends the original score report to:
6490 Saufley Field Road
Pensacola, FL 32509-5243
- Upon receipt of the ORIGINAL official certification
exam results, DANTES verifies the payment request, and
processes for reimbursement.
- After processing, DANTES sends the payment request
to DFAS (Defense Finance and Accounting Service). DFAS
issues a reimbursement check directly to the Guard
member at the Exam rate stated in the DANTES National
Calendar of Certification Tests.
- National Guard Bureau provides funds to DANTES for
reimbursement. Currently, Army National Guard personnel
have one funded-attempt at passing any DANTES-sponsored
certification exam. NOTE: The National
Guard Bureau working closely with DANTES may change
their policy for reimbursement in the future.
Certification, Licensure, and Exam Reimbursement Program
What is the Certification and Licensure Exam Reimbursement Program?
A reimbursement program for costs associated with earning a National or State certification or licensure.
How do I qualify?
Be an active drilling member of the ARNG.
What do I get?
- Reimbursement of exam fee, registration fee and up to $500 for cost of preparatory courses and study materials.
- Reimbursements are subject to the availability of funds and is first come, first served.
- Costs for preparatory courses and study materials are only reimbursed if they are not currently available for free through Army e-learning or another source.
- No retakes for which a passing score was previously received are acceptable for reimbursement.
- Each part of a multiple step certification and licensure is eligible for reimbursement.
- Medical and dental certification or licensure reimbursement is available to current ASR/AMEDD students or recent graduates. Recent graduates are eligible for reimbursement if the certification or licensure exam has been taken within one year of graduation.
- Courses that are eligible for Federal Tuition assistance are not reimbursable through this program.
- Example Exams:
Network Security Administrator (NSA)
Six Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB)
- Commercial Driver License (CDL)
- Certified Defense Financial Manager (CDFM)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- National Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP)
- Physician Assistant National Certifying Exam (PANCE)
- Certified Dental Assistant (CDA)
- Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
- Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA)
Testing and Examinations