The Soldier Support Center exists to serve the Soldiers and Airmen of the Illinois National Guard and retired military personnel. We provide a single point of contact for the Illinois Army National Guard major commands for general personnel action inquiries.  We provide expert customer service and advice regarding DEERS and Tricare issues. 

Call us at (217) 761-3307 or Click HERE to send us an e-mail

  • Common Access Cards (CAC)
  • Dependent ID Cards
  • DEERS Enrollment
  • TRICARE Assistance
  • Military Passports
  • ID Tags
  • Retirement Services
  • Personnel File Updates (IPERMS)
  • ERB/ORB Updates and Reviews
  • Self Service Computer Station
  • Education Testing & Counseling
  • Bonus & Incentives Assistance
  • Chaplain Assistance
  • Official DA Photos
  • Family Assistance Center
  • Medical Records Requests
  • Service Records Requests
  • Monday-Friday 0800-1600 – No Appointment Needed
  • Weekends – JFHQ Drills Call for Appointments

The DEERS Sections issues CACs to Military Personnel, Civilian employees requiring CAC access and USID cards to Military Retirees and Dependents. This section also updates DEERS records to reflect dependent status changes (Birth, Death, Marriage, Divorce, and College Student Updates).

Site Locator: http://

Self Service: (Updates PIV)

Required documents to get CAC:

  • Two forms of ID such as; Driver’s license, state given photo ID, social security card, FOID card, passport etc.…
  • Can update up to 30 days prior to expiration date
  • Can update if rank has changed

New CAC for name changes:

  • Documents stating your new name; marriage certificate, or legal document
  • Officers no longer require FED RED Order

Required documents for Retiree ID:

  • Retirement Orders
  • 20 Year letter
  • NGB 22

Renewing Dependent ID:

  • The sponsor with you to sign the 1172
  • The old ID (even if expired)
  • Two forms of ID such as; Driver’s license, state given photo ID, social security card, FOID card, passport etc.…

IF the Sponsor has passed away:

  • Death Certificate
  • Two forms of ID such as; Driver’s license, state given photo ID, social security card, FOID card, passport etc.…

Required documents to add Family Members:

  • Adding children **for insurance purposes you have 30 days to enter the child into DEERS from their Date of Birth**
    • Certified Birth Certificate
    • Social Security Card (up to a year to input)
  • Adding Spouse
    • Certified Marriage Certificate
    • Spouses Certified Birth Certificate
    • Spouses Social Security Card
    • Two forms of ID such as; Driver’s license, state given photo ID, social security card, FOID card, passport etc.…
    • Suggest Spouse accompanies sponsor to receive initial dependent ID

*Military males must have clean shaved face unless you have a profile or religious exception to receive CAC (not required for retiree or dependent cards).

Though the Soldier Support Center personnel are no longer official “TRICARE Benefits Counselors” we are more than happy to assist with questions to get your issues taken care of in a timely manner.

                TRICARE Website:

                Tricare East Humana Military: 1-800-444-5445

                Active Duty Dental (Service Members):

                Active Duty Dental Control Number: 1-888-286-8454 

                Active Duty Family Members:


                Phone Apps: Humana Military (Green with two Soldiers Saluting)

We process requests for official and diplomatic passports for duty assignments overseas to regions that require passports or visas. Processing times range from 6-8 wees for normal requests weeks and 2-3 weeks if requests are expedited.

Website to access form:

  • Select U.S. Passport Tab
  • Answer Questions on page
  • If completing DS-11 for Initial Applications provided original Birth Certificate
  • If completing DS-82 for renewal provide old passport or original Birth Certificate
  • - shows countries that require passports

New guidance has been published for Dog Tags to have Soldiers use their DOD ID number instead of their SSN. Complete and submit the ID Tag Request Form at the bottom of this page. To request a Medical ID Tag call the Medical Branch at 217-761-3714 or 3648.

Retirement Service Officers (RSO) will assist you with updates to your retirement points, provide Annual Statements, Review Eligibility, Discuss Retirement Options, and assist Grey Area Retirees with Pay Packets.

M-Day RSOs: SFC Darrelle Mueller, 217-761-3694 or SSG Marty Durbin, 217-761-3806

Active Duty RSOs: SFC Erika Holliday, 217-761-3907 or SFC Lisa Crawford, 217-761-3318


If you would like to attend an M-Day Soldiers' Pre-Retirement Briefing, instructions on how to RSVP and scheduled classes for fiscal year 20 and fiscal year 21 are below. These briefings are geared toward Soldiers and their spouses that have 18 or more years of creditable services. Soldiers who are pending a medical retirement are also encouraged to attend. Briefings will inform Soldiers about retirement related benefits and entitlements in order to assist with the transition from the military.

2020 Retirement Brief MOI

2021 Retirement Brief MOI

The 2020 US Army Retired Soldier Handbook outlines military status after retirement. It discusses benefits and privileges, and provides other information, which may be helpful in administering personal affairs. CLICK HERE FOR THE HANDBOOK

The 2020 US Army Retirement Planning Guide helps you navigate your transition from the Army. CLICK HERE FOR THE RETIREMENT GUIDE

The links below will also assist you in your search for information.

Members of the Illinois Army National Guard can receive counseling on the utilization of their benefits to pay for their higher education. Service members, Spouses and Federal Civilian Employees are eligible for free testing. These tests will provide a jump start in a civilian degree program. 

Education Services Specialist: Mr. Seth Mernaugh 217-761-3406

Education Specialist: Mr. Christopher Clark 217-761-3782

GI Bill Manager: SPC Christopher Melton 217-761-3698

The Photo Studio is staffed by Department of the Army certified Photo Technicians. All Official DA Photos are taken on site and uploaded into the DAPMIS system for placement into iPERMs. Official DA Photos are scheduled by appointment at

Use the How to guide to schedule an appointment. Click HERE for the How To guide.

DA Photographer: Mr. Zachary Zimerman (217) 761-3966

The Family Assistance Center (FAC) provides information, referral, and outreach to geographically dispersed Service Members and Families to support them in times of crisis and build resilience.  With eight offices throughout the state of Illinois, the FAC is a one-stop-shop for information and resources for SMs and Family Members from ANY BRANCH of Service or Component.  The FAC Coordinator coordinates resources with the local community through networks.

Family Assistance Center Coordinator: Ronnie Wilson Jr- Office Number: 217-761-3335 – After hours Cell: 217-622-0138- 24 hour toll free number: 1-800-832-9225

Medical Records Requests:

You can only request medical records if you’re a current member or discharged within 30 days.  Complete the form HERE and Fax to 217-761-3411 with Cover sheet. If you are a previous service member your medical records can be requested from the National Archives by clicking HERE.

Service Records Request – Call the Soldier Support Center for more information.

Frequently Asked Questions:

  • Need a DD 214 or NGB 22
    • If you were separated longer than 90 days ago contact Archives at 217-761-1741
    • If you were separated within 90 days call the SSC at 217-761-3307
  • Are you open on weekends?
    • Only on JFHQ Drill weekends
  • Need to verify employment with National Guard Soldier

Contact Archives at 217-761-1741

ID (Dog) Tag Request

Fill in this form to request ID Tags from the SSC